The County of Riverside’s Department of Public Social Services (DPSS) seeks a Support Services Technician who will be assigned to their Riverside location. The incumbent will serve the department by completing minor building maintenance, office moving or creation projects, asset inventory, and asset deployment. The incumbent will be tasked with other duties as required.
The department desires candidates who have experience in completing semi-skilled minor maintenance work in the following areas: plumbing, electrical, carpentry, building plant operations; and minor vehicle maintenance; experience effectively reading floor plans to arrange or re-arrange offices; and experience receiving, storing and issuing assets.
Under general supervision, perform skilled and semi-skilled work in the repair and maintenance to receive, store, and issue a variety of supplies, tools, and equipment; to maintain record of repairs, minor maintenance projects, items received and issued; to load and unload freight, supplies and equipment; to assist in the installation mobile radio equipment, facsimile machines, and issuance of pagers; perform authorized repairs to communication/electronic equipment; and to do other related work as required.
The incumbent of this class is required to perform a variety of minor mechanical and maintenance work with limited supervision. Responsibilities also include duties such as maintaining department inventory records; preparing requisitions; sorting and distributing incoming department mail; packaging items scheduled for distribution to branch offices; receiving, storing, and the routing of supplies, materials, and equipment delivery to various departments throughout the county.
EXAMPLES OF ESSENTIAL DUTIES
• Monitors County buildings and equipment and identifies needed repairs or maintenance.
• Performs routine cleaning of vents and air ducts.
• Perform minor repairs that only require limited tradesman knowledge. Monitor, and analyses building equipment and a variety of electrical and mechanical appliances; prepare work orders for repairs as necessary; enter and close out work orders.
• Services and repairs doors, gate locks, and latches.
• Moves and secures furniture and equipment.
• Determines supplies needs, and prepares orders.
• Performs minor painting tasks using a brush or roller.
• Perform minor electrical repairs such as changing of light bulbs, replacing wall receptacles, changes brushes on custodial equipment, etc.
• Hangs pictures, bulletin boards, placards, signs, etc. as necessary.
• Receives, loads, and unloads supplies, materials and equipment from vendor trucks; operates forklift to move pallets; inspects for damage and quantity received against requisitions, invoices, or freight bills.
• Required to handle courier routes, inventorying supply and carts to par level, deliver and receive mail, financial paperwork, lab samples, and biohazard mails.
• Stores stock in accordance with established storing system; keeps storeroom in orderly and clean condition; packages items to be shipped; fills requisitions and assembles for delivery; notes and reports to supervisors items that are low in stock.
• Assembles equipment such as desks, chairs, bookcases, etc.
• Prepares work and repair orders.
• Maintains logs and database of supply inventory, equipment, vehicle mileage/maintenance, cellular phones/pagers, purchase orders, etc.
• Ensures vehicles are cleaned, properly maintained and properly supplied.
• Perform minor vehicle maintenance as required; contact vendors when vehicle servicing is required.
• Monitor facility safety and coordinate with the Safety Division to ensure compliance with County and State regulations.
Experience: Three years of experience in building maintenance and minor repair work. Basic techniques of receiving, storing, and issuing supplies and materials; basic techniques involved in inventory control.
Knowledge of: Basic techniques of receiving, storing, and issuing supplies and materials; basic techniques involved in inventory control. Fill requests from written purchase orders; keep records of receipts and delivery of supplies and materials; make basic arithmetical computations; learn the terminology of parts and supplies associated with the storeroom or warehouse assigned.
Ability to: Perform semi-skilled minor maintenance work in the following areas: plumbing, electrical, carpentry, building plant operations; and minor vehicle maintenance; read and write English at the level necessary for successful job performance; read, interpret, and work from plans, drawings, and specifications; keep records; follow oral and written directions.
Other Requirements License/Certificate: Possession of a valid California Driver’s License is required.
Schedule: Participation of on call and overtime is required.
Veterans’ Preference The County has a Veterans Preference Policy. Upload a copy of your (or your spouse’s) Member-4 Form DD-214 (or NGB-22) indicating dates of service, and a copy of your spouse’s letter of disability (if applicable) with your application. For privacy reasons, it is recommended that you remove your social security information from the document(s). A Human Resources Representative will review the materials and determine if you qualify for veterans’ preference. See the policy here(Download PDF reader) (Download PDF reader).
Open to All Applicants This recruitment is open to all applicants. Applicants who are current County of Riverside employees and/or current employees of the Department/Agency may be considered before other applicants depending on the volume of applications received. Qualified applicants may be considered for future vacancies throughout the County.
Application Period BASED ON THE NUMBER OF APPLICATIONS RECEIVED, THIS POSTING MAY CLOSE WITHOUT NOTICE. Applications received prior to the closing date will be considered based on the information submitted. Changes or alterations cannot be accepted. No late applications will be permitted. Include relevant work experience details on resume and/or application. Applicants who fail to provide information demonstrating they possess the position requirements may not be considered further in the application process. A description of job duties directly copied from the job classification or job posting will not be considered. Upload a copy of any license(s), official/unofficial transcript(s), degrees, and/or related employment documents to your NeoGov account. If your education was completed outside of the United States, you will need to provide a copy of your Foreign Education Equivalency evaluation from a member of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES) or Association of International Credential Evaluators, Inc. (AICE).
Please read and follow any special application instructions on this posting. If available, use the 'Apply' link located on this page to submit your application. For instructions on the application process, examinations, Veteran's preference, pre-employment accommodation or other employment questions, please refer to our web site, www.rc-hr.com. All offers of employment are contingent upon meeting the medical and background standards of the position. A pre-employment physical examination and background check are required. For further information regarding this posting, contact: Erik Castro, or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.