The examination will consist entirely of an interview. In the interview, the following
competencies may be evaluated: Reading Comprehension, Judgment and Decision Making, Attention to Detail, Fact Finding, Customer Service, Oral Communication, Written Communication, Job Knowledge, including knowledge of: the elements of business operation as it relates to both large and small businesses, such as the type of industry and how revenue is generated; common business terminology as it relates to audits; source documents, such as the general ledger and income statements; secondary, non-standard sources of information pertinent to an audit, such as bank statements and rental agreements; General Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and General Accepted Auditing Standards (GAAS); basic accounting terminology; the differences between cash and accrual accounting basis; accounting calculations used to convert fiscal year to calendar year and from cash to accrual basis; basic arithmetic; and other necessary skills, knowledge, and abilities.
As part of the interview, candidates will be required to make a presentation to the interview board about an issue related to tax auditing. While the interview raters will not assign a separate score to the presentation, the interview raters will consider the appropriateness, practicality, and effectiveness of the presentation in their overall evaluation of the candidate's qualifications. Candidates should expect the interviewers to discuss the oral presentation with them during their interviews.
Specific information regarding the presentation which will be made during the interview will be e-mailed to those candidates invited to participate in the interview.
Additional information can be obtained by going to http://per.lacity.org/index.cfm?content=jobanalyses
and clicking on Competencies under Tax Auditor.
Prior to the interview, candidates will be required to complete an advisory technicalexercise, which will consist of written technical problems related to the duties and responsibilities of a Tax Auditor. This technical exercise material will not be separately scored, but will be presented to the interview board for discussion with the candidate and for consideration in the overall evaluation of the candidate. Those who do not complete the advisory technical exercise will not be invited to the interview and will be considered to have failed the entire examination. To be considered complete, the advisory technical exercise must include a substantive response for each question or problem included in the advisory technical exercise for which a candidate is required to provide an answer. Please note that candidates must complete the advisory technical exercise and meet the minimum qualifications as stated on this bulletin in order to be considered further in the examination process.
The advisory technical exercise will be administered on-line. Candidates invited to participate in the examination will receive an e-mail from the City of Los Angeles outlining the specific steps on how to complete the on-line advisory technical exercise. Candidates who fail to complete the on-line advisory technical exercise may be disqualified.
For candidates who apply during Filing Period 1, it is anticipated that the on-line advisory technical exercise will be administered between JULY 13, 2020 and JULY 20, 2020
For candidates who apply during Filing Period 2, it is anticipated that the on-line advisory technical exercise will be administered between JULY 23, 2021 and JULY 30, 2021
Candidates will be notified by e-mail of the date, time, and location of the interview, which may be held in Los Angeles or online.
For candidates who apply during Filing Period 1, it is anticipated that interviews will begin during the period of AUGUST 3, 2020 to AUGUST 14, 2020
For candidates who apply during Filing Period 2, it is anticipated that interviews will begin during the period of AUGUST 13, 2021 to AUGUST 24, 2021.
- This examination is based on a validation study.
- As a covered entity under the Fair Employment and Housing Act and Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act, the City of Los Angeles does not discriminate on the basis of disability and upon request, will provide reasonable accommodations to ensure equal access to its programs, services, and activities. To request a disability accommodation, please complete the Disability Accommodation Form within 14 calendar days of the submittal of the City application. The Disability Accommodation Form can be obtained at http://per.lacity.org/exams/verify_disability.pdf (Download PDF reader).
- Applications are accepted subject to review to ensure that minimum qualifications are met. Candidates may be disqualified at any time if it is determined that they do not possess the minimum qualifications stated on this bulletin.
- A final average score of 70% is required to be placed on the eligible list.
- Your rank on the eligible list may change as scores of candidates from other administrations of the examination are merged onto one list.
- Your name may be removed from the open competitive list after 6 months.
- You may take the Tax Auditor examination only once every 18 months under this bulletin.
- In accordance with Civil Service Rule, Sec. 4.24, review periods may be combined. Candidates in the examination process may file protests as provided in Sec. 4.20, 4.22, 4.23 as applicable and within the required timeframe; however, the Personnel
- Department may respond to and resolve protests prior to the establishment of the eligible list.
If you receive and accept an offer of employment to a regular position with the City of Los Angeles, your employee benefit coverage (including health and dental coverage as well as life insurance) will commence approximately six weeks after your original regular appointment. Not all positions in the City receive benefit coverage; you should inquire regarding the availability of employee benefits prior to accepting a position. City employees are required to be Disaster Service Workers.
THIS EXAMINATION IS TO BE GIVEN ONLY
ON AN OPEN COMPETITIVE BASIS
The City of Los Angeles does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability, creed, color, ancestry, medical condition (cancer), or Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome.
AN EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER