The OC Health Care Agency (HCA) is a regional provider, charged with protecting and promoting individual, family and community health through coordination of public and private sector resources.
HCA is composed of the following service areas:
- Administrative Services
- Behavioral Health Services
- Correctional Health Services
- Public Health Services
- Regulatory/Medical Health Services
HCA Volunteer Services works under Administrative Services within Financial Services and Program Support. Volunteer Services recruits, selects, assigns, trains, monitors and evaluates volunteers and interns who provide support to professional, technical and other agency staff involved in providing services in a variety of agency and County programs. In addition, Volunteer Services promotes support of and participation in County programs and services through public speaking, community involvement, orientations and media presentations.
Intern duties may include, but are not limited to, assisting staff with one or more of the following assignments or projects:
- Provide administrative support with Access database management that includes tables, queries, data extraction, forms and special reports.
- Provide relevant data for annual reports, websites and program supervisors.
- Update and/or create presentations and training resource materials.
- Conduct research and analysis and draft reports/findings on special projects.
- Assist in processing new volunteer/intern placements.
- Participate in day-to-day operations.
- Perform general administrative duties.
The internship is best suited for college students or recent graduates with an interest in pursuing a career in the following areas or related fields:
- Database Management
- Business Administration and Analysis
- Management Information Systems
- Human Resources
- Human Services
- Volunteer/Intern Management
Skills, Training or Qualifications:
HCA Volunteer Services is seeking applicants with the following qualifications:
- Strong understanding of and experience in Access database management, especially in building queries and special reports
- Excellent communication skills
- Highly organized and dependable
- Able to work in a fast-paced environment
- Able to provide detailed and accurate administrative support
- Eager to gain professional experience
- Reliable, outgoing, and able to work independently and in a team environment
- Experienced in Internet use and Microsoft Office Suite
Minimum 10 – 18 hours per week for 3 or more months. Hours must be scheduled during normal business hours (Monday – Friday between 7 a.m. – 5 p.m.). Applicants able to schedule the maximum hours/duration listed for the internship typically gain a more in-depth experience. The department is willing to work around the intern’s school/work schedule and can be flexible.
Benefits Available to Intern:
Although this is an unpaid internship that does not lead to paid employment or include employee benefits, students and recent graduates are offered an excellent opportunity to:
- Build resumes/work history and explore career options
- Apply skills and knowledge acquired in an academic setting to the workplace
- Fulfill college/university internship requirements
- Network with professionals in their fields of interest
Prior to placement, applicants may be asked to submit contact information for reference checks, and a background screening will be conducted that requires a state issued driver's license or ID card and a U.S. Social Security number.
Please let us know whether or not you will receive academic credit through your college/university for the internship. We do not require that applicants receive academic credit.