2020 Summer Internship: Software Engineering Intern, Cloud
Argo AI - Palo Alto, CA
Full-time | Temporary | Internship
Estimated: $82,000 - $110,000 a year
Click to apply
* Software Development
* Google Cloud Platform
* Health Insurance
Argo AI was founded to tackle one of the most challenging applications in computer science, robotics and artificial intelligence with self-driving vehicles. Argo AI is developing and deploying the latest advancements in artificial intelligence, machine learning and computer vision to help build safe and efficient self-driving vehicles that enable these transformations and more. The challenges are significant, but we are a team that believes in tackling hard, meaningful problems to improve the world.
We are building a high-performance team that is excited by complex engineering challenges and is passionate about making transportation safer, more affordable and accessible for all.
We view internships as an incredibly valuable part of our culture and of our recruiting pipeline. It's our opportunity to see you in action in a way that is far more informative than an interview. For you, it is an opportunity to demonstrate your skills and character in a real world setting. Moreover, it is an opportunity for personal and professional development while learning something new and contributing to Argo AI's effort to change the world!
Every intern will be paired with a senior member of our staff who will provide guidance and mentorship for the duration of the internship. Interns are considered contributing members of our project teams and participate in project meetings. Join us for a unique 12-14 week paid internship that offers personal and professional development, a fun work environment, and community-building.
The Software Engineer Internship gives an opportunity to work on complex computer science solutions, to develop scalable, distributed software systems, and also collaborate on multitudes of smaller projects that have universal appeal. All of these require research, awareness, interactivity, and the ability to ask the right questions.
What you'll do:
* A high risk/high reward software development task for the project
* Areas you might work on:
* Support development of Argo's visualization framework, rendering engine and associated applications
* Build custom service infrastructure in Kotlin and Java to communicate efficiently to Autonomous Vehicles
* Develop services with a multi-region strategy deployed on AWS to achieve 99.99+ availability
* Support design of Argo's partner-facing APIs to communicate mapping, routing, and tracking data between autonomous vehicles and the cloud
* Design, build and operate Argo's scalable data ingestion and processing systems in Java and Python to process the vehicle sensor and autonomy data that our autonomous vehicles collect. This involves a mix of edge computing installed in vehicle depots and AWS based systems.A high risk/high reward software development task for the project
* Engage closely with internal customers and build up requirements and designs reflecting current business needs
What we're looking for:
* Must be enrolled in a full time degree program at the time of the internship
* Students pursuing a degree in Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Robotics or a related field
* Pursuing a degree in Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Robotics or a related field (must be enrolled in a full time degree program at the time of the internship)
* Software Development skills in C++, Java, Kotlin and/or Python, or React/Typescript to Mission Control development
* Bonus for any projects or experience in:
* Knowledge of cloud technologies including AWS, GCP, Docker, Kubernetes, EMR/Spark, Terraform and/or similar products
* Experience building or working with REST or gRPC APIs
* Knowledge of leveraging database solutions (relational, key-value, etc) in solving complex large scale highly distributed problems
* Experience with OpenGL Qt
* Excellent communication skills are required given our distributed and diverse team
At Argo AI, we have a strong emphasis on creating a highly effective team environment. Thus, we seek candidates that can work effectively with others across a broad range of disciplines.
Argo AI is an equal opportunity employer that believes in diversity as a strength and is committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
We know it takes competitive benefits to fuel a team that works hard and enjoys the challenge. At Argo AI, you can expect stellar perks to support your best self:
* Competitive compensation packages
* Free onsite or adjacent parking
* Daily catered lunches and snacks
* Commuter reimbursement
Argo AI is a LinkedIn Top 50 Startup ( https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/linkedin-top-startups-2018-50-most-sought-after-us-daniel-roth/ )