- Job ID: 70003604
- Job Family: Internship
- Location: Rosemead, CA US
Energy for What’s Ahead.
Are you looking to make a difference in your career? We’re working on smarter grids, cleaner energy and tools to help people manage energy more efficiently.
The role of IT goes beyond the traditional Information Technology “service provider.” Many of the innovative ideas and projects that shape the company’s future and move SCE forward are dependent on technology. IT employees are at the heart of these projects, collaborating, designing and executing technology solutions that are transforming our industry.
This position is part of Southern California Edison’s (SCE) University and Campus Relations Internship Program. The Summer Internship program is a 10-12 week paid opportunity to gain hands-on experience with meaningful work, while developing your skills, and building your network. The internship has an estimated start date of May/June 2019 and an estimated end date of August/September 2019.
SCE offers these programs with the belief that learning and development are important parts of building future leaders. Interns will also have the opportunity to participate in intern mixers, executive speaker series, site tours, community volunteer events, and cross-company networking.
We're big believers that diversity leads to innovation, creativity, and collaboration.
Information Technology (IT) – Grid Services. This internship opportunity will be in the Grid Services (C&C) department of the Information Technology (IT) organizational unit. The organization is responsible for managing critical 24x7 operational functions in support of the electric grid (electric and generation control systems, grid communication network, grid data center, grid and telecommunication operation centers and grid security operations).
The Grid Services department is comprised of the following divisions:
The Telecommunications division is responsible for architecting, engineering, installing, operating, repairing, and maintaining the voice, data, and telecommunications networks which includes over 5,000 miles of fiber. The network is used to enable essential communications across the enterprise to: dispatch personnel required to restore and activate electric services for our customers, operate and maintain the reliability of the transmission grid, automate substations, and communicate with SCE customers, among other functions.
The Grid & Telecom Operations group of Grid Services is responsible for the operation of the routed administration WAN and grid data networks, communications operations centers, transport telecommunication systems, and information resource for SCE, EIX and SCE customers. Amon the areas of focus are managing, operating, repairing, and maintaining SCE’s communication transport systems, which include data, voice, and video, performing network capacity planning and performance management, providing consultation services for application and network performance, providing metrics and analytics for Operations, NERC-CIP, and General Rate Case, and manage vendor relations and contracts.
Examples of what our interns do:
• Assist engineers in design of telecommunications systems (fiber optic, microwave, satellite, mobile radio) design, circuits, and the direct the design of facilities such as communications rooms and towers.
• Assist in gathering project requirements with input from internal and external entities, analyze telecommunications requirements with respect to system capacity system reliability, and technical parameters.
• Document analysis for plan of service for projects, including elements such as required communications facilities, facility site location, and required systems.
• Update network documentation for telecommunications and data network, including drawings and databases, to ensure that technical documentation related to assigned projects are produced and updated in accordance within established processes and standards. This includes on-line systems, drawings, and job instructions.
• With increased experience, provide engineering for small projects in telecommunications, data networking, and/or wireless areas.
• Be currently pursuing a Bachelor's or Master’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Information Management Systems, Business Data Analytics or closely related field at an accredited institution with a graduation date of December 2019 or later.
• Preferred GPA of 2.8 or higher
• Coursework and/or knowledge of communications and/or data networking technology
Position is located in Rosemead.
Official transcripts will be verified during the interview process.
Candidates for this position must be legally authorized to work directly as employees for any employer in the United States without visa sponsorship.
This position has been posted as an anticipated vacancy and may become available in the future. If this position becomes available and you meet the requirements, you will be notified via email to apply to the new posting. Please note you will not be sent a communication if this position does not become available
Southern California Edison, an Edison International (NYSE:EIX) company, serves a population of nearly 14 million via 5 million customer accounts in a 50,000-square-mile service area within Central, Coastal and Southern California. Join the utility leader that is safely delivering reliable, affordable electricity to our customers for over 125 years.
Click to apply