Are you looking for a career in public service that can make a difference?
Working for the State Bar of California will enable you to contribute to our vital mission of public protection. The State Bar is a regulatory agency that protects the people of California through oversight of the legal profession. Our mission also includes increasing access to legal services and furthering diversity and inclusion in the legal profession.
The State Bar offers challenging and rewarding careers requiring a broad range of skills and abilities. We offer competitive compensation, comprehensive benefits, and opportunities for growth and development, as well as an environment that encourages work-life balance.
This Principal Human Resources Analyst is a management level position that reports to the State Bar’s Human Resource Director and is responsible for three key areas of the department: Human Resources Information Systems (HRIS), Benefits, and Classification and Compensation. Although the ideal candidate would have experience in all three areas, deep subject matter expertise and experience in at least one of these areas is required.
You will be leading a team of three, one team member in each of the three areas of focus, who will work with department managers and their teams to provide coordinated consultation to operating departments and State Bar administration. This position will orchestrate the development and implementation of goals, objectives, policies and priorities, as well as strategic plans for all three areas of responsibility.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
· Oversees the human resources systems and applications to ensure the confidentiality, integrity, and availability of the information systems while delivering technology and solutions to different departments at the State Bar
· Contribute to system decision-making, scoping and planning for HR system projects in support of the overall HR strategy.
· Develops a set of business systems analysis standards including processes, project tracking, success metrics, incident management procedures, and system analysis.
· Coordinates and administers the State Bar’s complex, multi-faceted benefits program that includes medical leave, wellness, and employee assistance programs in an accurate, timely, cost effective manner to meet the needs of State Bar employees.
· Collects and analyzes information and data to ensure efficiency and cost effectiveness of programs and plans to make recommendations related to additions and modifications to the benefits package; prepares requests for proposals and negotiates contracts with third party providers. Manages benefit implementation projects, open enrollment, vendor reporting, and plan documents.
· Provides information to employees and managers on the availability and coverage of insurance programs. Interprets benefits contracts and labor/management agreements. Acts as liaison between insurance providers and employees and their families; resolves enrollment, coverage and processing problems.
· Implements changes in benefits resulting from the meet and confer process, ensuring that automated systems are accurately updated to reflect these changes.
· Interpret and apply workers' compensation laws and regulations.
Classification and Compensation
· Manages the maintenance of the State Bar’s job classification plan; develops and administers criteria and procedures to ensure internal consistency and integrity of the job classification process; consults with Department Heads and managers to plan reorganizations and explain the impact of organizational decisions on classification and compensation.
· Manages the gathering of salary data for the purposes of setting salaries for new or revised classifications, or for recruitment purposes; confers with other Human Resources Department management to share information about market or internal inequities or salary-related recruiting difficulties and to develop strategies to address those challenges.
· Ensures that the activities of the program are carried out fairly, equitably, and in accordance with applicable laws, rules, and policies.
The ability to:
· Lead others to accomplish program and project implementation
· Coordinate and lead projects, collaborating with other human resources staff and departments as required. Participates in selection of project contractors and supervises contractors' activities.
· Serve as a member of the HR management team, making recommendations and taking actions to maintain and improve the organizational effectiveness of the department.
· Analyze problems, identify alternative solutions, project consequences of proposed actions and implement recommendations in support of goals.
· Conduct research, compile and analyze data, and prepare reports.
· Understand, interpret and apply provisions of the Memorandum of Understanding, human resource rules, policies and procedures.
· Prepare clear, comprehensive and concise correspondence and reports, both in writing and orally.
· Set priorities, organize work and meet critical deadlines.
· Bachelor’s degree in a field that develops skills related to essential duties, or equivalent
· Minimum five (5) years’ progressively responsible experience in the areas of benefits administration and/or classification and compensation, and in business process reengineering, data collection and evaluation, research, performance or financial auditing in a public sector, legal, or nonprofit environment, or equivalent.
· Master’s degree in a relevant field may substitute for up to two (2) years of experience
Applicants who meet the Minimum Qualifications will be required to successfully complete the State Bar’s selection process for this classification.
While this position is open on a continuous basis we encourage you to apply on or before February 21, 2020